Another Year Gone

BY JENNA MCASSEY ‘19

It is hard to believe that this year has come to an end; it feels like just yesterday it was September. To think that college is halfway over for me is completely unreal. This entire year has been extremely eventful, and filled with unforgettable memories that will stay with me forever. Although schoolwork was very stressful at times, I am happy that I go to a school that challenges me and pushes me to do the best I can. It’s also great that Nichols recognizes those stressful times of year. During finals there were so many “stress relieving” activities, and other events that took my mind off of the stress of exams. And with the help of friends and professors encouraging me, I have finally completed my second year of college!

I think the highlight for me this past academic year was some of the great academic opportunities that I have been able to take part in. I was able to go to New York City and listen to speakers who work for the Terrorism Unit for the NYPD. During the second week of May, I will be in Washington, D.C. for a cyber security conference with students from all over the country. These opportunities provide me the ability to meet and network with so many individuals in the Criminal Justice field. This year has also been an eyeopener as to what my future could look like, the work I need to do to get there, and how many opportunities there are in the work force.

As the seniors graduate and a new class makes Nichols their second home, it reminds me of when I moved in my freshmen year. And I think if I could give one piece of advice to a freshman moving into college it is to not bring everything and even though adjustment is hard, stay and enjoy your time on campus—it’s worth it, believe me. I came from a very small town and a school with a graduating class of just a 130 students. I loved home, which made it very hard for me to pack up and move somewhere else. Two weeks after move in, I wanted to go back home, but I didn’t. And I am very thankful that I didn’t because I am not sure that I would have had the same experience if I went home every weekend. College is going to take some adjusting and getting used to, just like any new place, but it is worth it! School will become your second home, and a brand new chapter of your life, so take advantage of that because before you know it you will be in my shoes—in shock that college is halfway over.

I wish the best of luck to the class of 2017! They have sure made a difference at Nichols College, and will definitely leave their mark on the world!