Second Annual President for a Day

BY JORDAN D’AURIO

On Tuesday, March 29, Nichols College held it’s 2nd Annual President for a Day, where President Engelkemeyer and an undergraduate student switched roles for an entire day to experience a day on the hill in a different light. After President Engelkemeyer and the application committee reviewed all the candidates, they were pleased to announce Irving Eggleston as the winner.

“I wanted to be president for a day because I was really interested in finding out what the president’s day-to-day tasks really entail. The average student sees the president at graduation handing out diplomas or at alumni and sporting events on campus, but there’s much more that goes into her position,” says Eggleston.

“The Committee and I enjoyed reviewing the applications and the selection was a difficult one. I’m excited to work with Irving and to switch roles with him on the 29th,” President Engelkemeyer explained.

Irving Eggleston is a double major in accounting and sport management and will be graduating this May. He started the day by giving a presentation to the president’s council highlighting three things he would change on campus. His suggestions included extending the dining hall hours, creating a shuttle service to local plazas around the Webster and Dudley areas for students who don’t have vehicles, and creating an annual spirit week in the fall semester that students and faculty could participate in.

While Eggleston took on the responsibilities of the president, she too had a busy day. President Engelkemeyer attended Irving’s Political Science class at 9:25am, Governmental & Non-Profit Accounting at 10:50am, and Prophets, Guides, and Gurus at 12:15pm. Shortly after, she headed to Irving’s residence hall, Copper Beech, where she spent time with his roommates playing video games and getting to know Irving’s day-to-day routine.

“I love the President for a Day Program.  For me, it provides an opportunity to get to know more students through the classes and activities that are a part of their day.  In the classrooms, I learned how to meditate, how to determine the effectiveness of nonprofit organizations with respect to their stated focus, and details about the electoral college that I didn’t know.” President Engelkemeyer explained.

Irving learned that the president is a main factor in Nichols rapid improvement over the years due to her ability to successfully handle so many different things all at once. From handling residence life situations, to giving presentations highlighting the new renovations happening on campus, she still makes time for the students and is always willing to listen.

“I would highly recommend students to apply to become the president for a day because of the experience you gain as well as the knowledge you take away from it. I was able to get every question that I’ve ever had here answered in one day, which is something that should entice students to apply in the years to come,” said Eggleston.