Boston Bruins President Cam Neely Speaks at Nichols College

On April 1st, students, faculty and community gathered in the Athletic Center, excitedly waiting for Boston Bruins President Cam Neely to take the stage. Brieanna Baron, Vice President of SGA, and Sean Hoey, President of the class of 2016, introduced Mr. Neely and he modestly took the stage.

The first thing everybody noticed about Neely was that he’s just an average guy. “I don’t do this much,” he started with. “I’m just a lucky guy, who has always loved the sport of ice hockey.”

He began his professional hockey career at age 18 with the Vancouver Canucks. On his 21st birthday, he was traded to Boston. He was unfamiliar with the city, but he did his best, always giving 110% to the Bruins organization. Neely’s career was successful and he played ten years in Boston, but injuries ultimately ended his career in 1996.

In 2005, Neely was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame and Boston retired his jersey, #8. He attributes his success to working hard both on and off the ice.

“I focused on playing hard, but most importantly, working hard. I still believe to this day that you have to put all your effort in. And that’s what I ask of my players: Work your hardest, do your best.”

It was amazing to hear about Neely’s experiences both on the ice and in the office. His devotion to the game has remained unchanged throughout his years as a player, and as president he says he looks forward to the many seasons to come.

The Student Government Association donated $1,000 to the Cam Neely Foundation from both ticket sales and a matched donation. This event was completely organized by students: a huge thanks to Brieanna Baron for doing an excellent job producing the event!